Wednesday, November 19, 2008

We are the best

Burlington was named the healthiest city in the country by the CDC. Everyone here is fit based on hippie activities like skiing, biking, hiking, and almost anything known to man. One of the best places to see just how healthy Burlington is, is in the UVM gym.

In UVM's elaborate gym there is two tracks, three basketball courts, multiple tennis courts, a weight room, ice rink, soccer fields, racket ball courts, and an indoor pool. Offering plenty of places for students to stay fit. The most intimidating place but also the best represented of Burlington's healthy status is evident in the free weight room. I do not know if the people in this room are legitimately as strong as they seem to be or if UVM has a steroid problem, but every time I enter that room I feel like a baby. Every one in that room is lifting a huge amount of weight and all of them seem to be part of Americas worlds strongest man team. I think that Burlington could be even healthier if they created a second weight room for people like me(or people that do not bench 500 pounds), then those wimpy kids that just want to stay in shape could not feel insignificant when working out. All though maybe those ridiculously strong people in the weight room are part of the reason why Burlington is so healthy, because they pressure the people that are not as healthy to become more healthy.

I did not mention that the article explaining why Burlington is so healthy compares Burlington to the most unhealthy city in the United States Huntington West Virginia. Surprisingly as the article explains the two cities are very similar. If you want to read the article here is the link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081116/ap_on_he_me/med_healthiest_city

4 comments:

aujwat6 said...

I was shocked when I read that Burlington was the healthiest city in the U.S. Have they seen the people that walk around on Church Street? No offense but we have some pretty interesting people down there! Where is this weight room you're talking about? I don't think I've ever seen it before....

M. Haji Bigman said...

I thought it fit pretty well. I mean think of all the people you see on bikes. Not to mention that on main st i never see any obese people. Sketchy, drunk, wierd...yes. but not to many obese people. makes sense to me.

The Catfish said...

I hate going to the weight room people are so intense and serious their. I think that is why it is so intimidating their.

bLOWFISH said...

for some reason my dad felt the need to text me the breaking news at 6 am the other day. i don't actually care so i don't know why he felt the need to wake me up with that. but when you consider the population of the city of burlington compared to all the other cities it makes sense. plus everywhere you go there are bike paths and everyone skis and yada yada yada. and also all the young people living here. i don't think the weight room makes much of a difference ?