Sunday, November 9, 2008

Skunk siting.

I have seen all sorts of new things while I was in Vermont. Almost all of them were in some was rewarding or beneficial. The other day I saw a skunk for the first time in my life, which apparently is not that big of a deal.

I was standing by Williams while talking on the phone around eleven o'clock. I was casually walking on the side walk minding my own business and I saw a skunk. I flipped out and ran very fast away from the scene. I did not get the memo that Skunks are not a vicious killers. I looked like a complete fool running away from what most of the people around Williams thought was a common occurrence. In a slight defence to my stupidity I ran because I did not want to get sprayed by the skunk or have to do something weird like take a bath in vinegar to get the smell out.

Next time I see a skunk now I know that it is really not a big deal, and I don't have to run away like the foot tall skunk will eat me alive. I understand that this is a really useless post to most people but to me a skunk siting is a big deal.

3 comments:

Melissa Partington said...

Two things, first I have heard that tomatoes, ketchup that kind of thing work best for getting rid of skunk smell. Second, my Grandma when she was a little younger (like 2 decades ago), used to sleep out on her porch in the summer. Each night a skunk would come up and walk across her porch as she was starting to get settled in for the night. She named it, and was given a skunk statue because of it. In a way, she became friends with that skunk, each night they would visit with each other.

bLOWFISH said...

Don't worry about it, I would do the same thing you did. i've never seen a skunk, and hope I never have to cross paths with one...
but i've heard there are a lot of them in vermont, but i guess they are just all hiding out behind williams. great i dont have any classes there =)

A Underwood said...

So funny skunk story.

One time my grandfather found a skunk had infiltrated his basement so he decided to take care of it by shooting at it with a rifle. (which he presumably had lying around)

So he lines up his shot and fires at the skunk. Apparently he missed from about 10 feet away.

So of course the skunk gets scared and fires back a round of terrible smelling odor. But the story wouldn't hardly be worth telling if that was all that happens.

Turns out that instead of hitting the skunk my grandfather had shot a hole in the main water pipe.

So there was my grandfather getting soaked and smelling terrible and skunk simply ran away unharmed.