Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Million Problems

A Million Penguins? A Million Forms of Torture, more like. It was terrible. I am not sure who thought that having a book written by 10,000 stupid people would be better than one, but they were wrong. A book with so many different authors really has little chance of coherence and less chance of meaningful meaning. Walry? I mean, come on!

Generally I enjoy or at least don't hate everything assigned in Literature in a Wired World, but this was just TERRIBLE! I don't think this is even of the type that I could suggest others read it. Normally if I suffer through something I get others to do so, but I don't think I could be that sadistic. It was funny in (very) little spurts, but taken on the whole I would rather a lobotomy than a reread.

A Million Penguins is on my hate list right up there with Number the Stars and The Giver.

You know what isn't on my hate list? Well, I mean, there are a lot of things. The one I am thinking of right now, though, is Pandora. I had heard of this site a while ago but never went to check it out. I went to it while typing an essay for French when a friend who as also in the lounge with me showed me the site. I put in Reel Big Fish as the search term and the resulting radio station is awesome. For those that don't know, Pandora takes a song or artist that you like and creates a custom radio station for you based on the information you give them. It is awesome, because I've discovered probably 10-12 new bands over the last week that I would probably have never found otherwise. Look into it if your music library just isn't doing it for you anymore.

But back to A Million Penguins. It sucked. It was painful. Crowdsourcing a book is a bad idea. Don't read it. Don't think about it. Scream whenever someone mentions it. It's that bad. It is something like what I'd expect to experience when I was sick, on a bad acid trip and severely ADHD.

End.

1 comment:

M. Haji Bigman said...

Yeah, Pandora is a pretty sweet tool. What even cooler is that they have an app for both the iphone and ipod touch were, if you have a internet connection, you can utilize this amazing program. not to mention the streaming quality is top notch.