Tuesday, November 18, 2008

About that Obama...

Recently, you may know, there was a presidential election in the U.S. where Barack Obama (D) won the presidency over John McCain (R). My hatred of bipartisan politics aside, I was irritated with the election in general.

I am a lifelong Vermont resident and, as such, I am registered to vote in Vermont. I hate that fact, because ever since the seventies Vermont has voted liberal. We voted for Reagan in 1984 over Walter Mondale (Mondale, of course, only won his home state of Minnesota) but other than that we have really been a blue state for a while now.

That means my vote doesn't really doesn't matter. Looking at the data for Vermont, McCain got very, very few towns here. No matter whom I chose to vote for, it really wouldn't make a difference in Vermont.

I voted for John McCain. Why? A friend from the next floor up attacked everyone constantly for about a month leading up to voting day to vote for Obama, and that was irritating as all get-out. I mean, as my vote I should have the right to choose my candidate. If anyone tells me how I should vote, I am generally okay with it if they give me good information and don't press the issue.

That is at least half of the reason I didn't vote for Obama. Good job, die-hard Obama supporters. Let's push those on the fence away with our ass-hattery. Probably a good plan.

Another prime reason was that the Democratic party called my cell phone at 10 a.m. the day after Halloween. Saturday. Day after Halloween. Who is really going to be up at 10 a.m.??? They didn't chat, they just said, "This is with the Democratic party calling to remind you to vote for Barack Obama and all the other Democratic party members in the upcoming election. Are you aware that elections are on the fourth of November?"

What a way to start a day! Call me, wake me up and treat me as an idiot. Also, saying "calling to remind you to vote for Barack Obama" makes it sound like I don't really have a choice or as though he were the only candidate.

And nobody acknowledged the Libertarian, Constitutionalist or other non-Democratic/Republican candidates. Why are we so deadlocked for either party?

Anyway, I felt like this is a suitable way for me to boost my blog count.

3 comments:

bLOWFISH said...

well, i sort of agree with you that they shouldn't have been advertising obama like that. i voted for obama, but thats because i wanted to, i didnt go around remind others to vote for him. and if you really wanted mccain, then great for going and voting for him, but it is pretty sucky that you just wanted to get back at those pushy people for being so pushy and do your vote for mccain. he really had no chance anyway. what does upset me though is that so many people were all for obama because they liked him/his plans, but there were SO many people who were uninformed and just voted for him because he is black, or even because his grandmother died the day before and they felt bad. come on guys, its our future. atleast look into it a little bit.

M. Haji Bigman said...

in my opinion, politics and religion are two things i try not to argue about. what ever you chose to do or think, is up to you. that being said, if you feel like your vote didn't matter that common. but I think the problem with the republican base was that they couldn't get the overwhelming support of the youth. call it what you will, but I don't believe that republicans had as much help as the democrats.

Chelsea Abplanalp said...

i honestly hated being here during the whole time before the election. i respect everyone and their beliefs but when i would tell people at uvm that i was voting for mccain the response would be "seriously?" or "are you kidding?" No. Im not kidding. I respect your views so respect mine. It was very frustrating and i am so glad the election is over.