Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Belated Obama Post

Okay, so its been almost a week since Barack Obama was announced as the projected winner of the Presedential Election and the following campus-wide explosion that took place. I must say that I was personally very happy with the result and expected some sort of positive reaction but certainly nothing of quite that scale.

Unfortunately I did not follow drrogers and company downtown to witness that spectacle. However, I was still witness to and a participant in the continuing celebration that took place in between good ol Harris/Millis and the U-heights complex. Somebody had the amazing presence of mind to break out a set of congo drums to supplement the natural crowd noise. The fairly talented percussionists manning these drums kept the crowd together for much longer than I expected, providing a steady but constantly changing beat to the celebration. At some points the festivities were very reminiscent of tribal dancing or maybe something out of Lord of the Flies. The definite highlight for me before I retired to view the speech online with drrogers and company was a barely distinguishable, yelled version of the national anthem. I don't think I've ever seen that sung with such fervor in my lifetime, especcially not by the younger generation.

One thing that I did find very disapointing about this whole celebration was that there were many people who I know are not that political and just used this historic event as an excuse to get trashed on a Tuesday night. To each his own I guess. On another note, my Dad, who is a fervent Obama supporter, just had surgery and was on Vicatin when I called him. He was loving life to say the least =)

No comments: