Thursday, November 6, 2008

Obama happy riot

When Obama clenched the election I was ecstatically happy, but I did not expect the thrill of what was to come(even though I really should of, knowing that Vermont is the most liberal state in the nation). I heard some slight celebrations outside of Millis and me and a couple friends walked outside and realized we were joining a riot of joy.

We stepped outside with hundreds of UVM students running towards central campus chanting. The mob built up to over three thousand participants basically controlling the flow of traffic Burlington. The thing that I was so impressed with is the whole concept that a mass group of young people were chanting," U-S-A! U-S-A!" The students that were part of the spontaneous Obama rally really meant and felt like they were part of the United States of America. Maybe it is just because I did not believe in manyof the policies of the government in my lifetime, but I think that Obama did a pretty Damn good job of helping a majority of young people feel a since of patriotism(or at least what Obama stands for). In the rally we sang the national anthem not in the boring way (like when it is forced upon you in middle school) but we sang it with heart. I even saw a couple McCain supporters dancing and chanting for Obama.

The riot in Burlington was a once in a lifetime experienc. The rally at least felt like every thing in the United States would be okay. Completely contrary to the UVM rally, not to the people that loved Obama, a friend I have at the University of Georgia told me that it was a completely opposite reaction there. At the University of Georgia there was a small riot out of anger(they flipped and burned a car). I prefer the happy euphoric riot over that.

1 comment:

bLOWFISH said...

i had a great time that night, i remember we were in our suite watching the news and we heard just a few people cheering outside of harris millis and we ran out and the crowd just grew and grew so by the time we got downtown there were over a thousand of us... it was quite an experience, and im really glad i remembered to put shoes on when we heard the cheering and ran outside.

anyway i have a friend at university of arizona (where mccain is from). that school has like ten times as many students as ours, and he told me it was SILENT there... i guess i just figured there would be anger riots like you said about georgia, its weird.