Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Name of the Game: Broomball

Tonight I had my first experience with the UVM exclusive game of Broomball. The team that I am on was formed at a floor meeting by a bunch of freshman who had no idea what the hell it was. This lack of experience was clear during our first exhibition at Gutterson earlier this night. As far as I could tell its pretty much floor/field hockey on ice, this is much more difficult than it sounds
We got to the Gut at around 8:00, led by our fearless leader Ralph, we numbered 8 guys and four girls. This would eventually result in some incongruities in playing time due to the rule in Co-Rec that their must be three of each on the ice at all times. The proceeding two fifteen minute halves were nothing short of painful yet hilarious to watch. The long and short of it is that we lost 2-0 at the hands of a much smaller and mildly more experienced team. It was certainly frustrating as a guy and not being able to play much but I took solace in knowing that no one could really do any better than the other at this stage in our careers.
Despite our brutal opening loss, Broomball was an otherwise enjoyable experience. The brass band in th stands playing fight songs definitely added to the ambience in a half serious way.At the end of this I found my self wondering: Who came up with this idea? My hypothesis is that this sport was founded with the aid of some *ahem* external influences on some creative UVM students from years past. I certainly hope our season picks up after this initial set back.

4 comments:

charlotte snowe said...

sweet, I had my first broomball game the other week against a fairly seasoned team. Luckily for me, I am on a team ( The Plastic Artichokes) made mostly of juniors, seniors and 2 club hockey players. Although, I guess I'm pretty good too (probably because I can be pretty aggressive and competitive). What's your team name? And when do you play next? Maybe we will be facing off!

Tess said...

I was in the band! It was nice to have something to watch while everyone was getting set up. I had never seen it played before; I had originally thought that the game was played with actual brooms lol. I think I'll try it next semester, it looked like a lot of fun.

bLOWFISH said...

Awesome you got on a broomball team. It seems like a fun time, of course I never played but i kinda want to. My dorm is still waiting to get one because it is all booked up! i mean, we did a sign up sheet for it weeks ago, did all of you guys sign up on like the first day on campus or something?

aujwat6 said...

I am soooo jealous of you!! I wanted to play Broomball, and I had a chance, but I through it all away. I thought I was going to play with a whole bunch of Trinityers but that fell through. I'm so bummed that I didn't say yes to the team that I was put on!