Friday, October 10, 2008

Alice in Italy

Alright. First of all, enough with the Wonderland crap. Alice here, Alice there. Lewis Carroll turns in his grave. Not really, though (Interestingly enough, he died just two weeks before turning 66).

Okay, but now I must actually post something about Inanimate Alice. I really did not like the first one. The interactive elements in the China episode left a lot to be desired. Namely, interactivity.

The second one, then, is my favorite. The interactive nature really shone through and I was part of the story (the bike took me ages to finish because I just kept clicking on the back tire and expected it to solve itself...) and felt involved. Much more so than in the first.

This story, in Italy (as I am sure you know) was cool because essentially we have a kid in Italy specifically to ski/snowboard and then, somehow, forgets to go to ski school. That seems odd considering that was all that the kid had on her agenda that day and she was supposedly REALLY looking forward to it. (As an aside, the ski lifts were closed that day. How was ski school supposed to work?) It's good that I think logical flaws add character to a work. Really.

In any event, this child's parents are gone for the day and, scared, Alice the 10-year-old decides that there is no one better to call than her tutor in Saudi Arabia. Because she will be able to do a lot.

Anyway, it was also odd that when you are solving the bike puzzle you are told "You can't have any supper until you've solved my puzzle." To whom was that directed? I would easily have had supper without finishing the puzzle. It was for her dad, but she can't really tell her dad when he can / cannot have dinner, either. She's cheeky.

Anyway, it was fun and the abrupt ending which showed Alice as exactly as paranoid as the people in the beginning who called her paranoid was awesome.

That last bit was hard to understand, even for me. Sorry.

Anyway. I am done.

Oh! Here is an amusing video, courtesy of YouTube. The funny bit is the host's reaction to the event. Enjoy! I do. Often.

No comments: