Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Worst Building On Campus

Yesterday when waking out of the horror show that is the Billings Lecture Hall Basement, I asked myself, what is the worst overall building on campus? The logical answer was under my feet but I decided to think a little more. Perhaps it was the nondescript Rowell with its cramped boxes that serve as excuses for lecture halls. Unfortunately my train of thought was abruptly cut short as I walked back to Athletic Campus. The answer of course, was right in front of me.

As I rounded the corner, I glimpsed a mammoth and hulking geometric shape that could probably best be descriped as a some sort of rhombus or trapezoid plopped in between the life science building and Cook Commons. This building is of course the Angell Lecture Hall. I'm not quite sure what the architect was thinking and/or what he was experimenting with when he had the great idea of inundating an otherwise gorgeous section of campus with possibly one of the worst examples of architecture that Vermont has witnessed this past century, making most of the residence halls look like contemporary masterpieces of building design. He successfully integrated the worst elements of early seventies/late sixties design with a experimental Geometry survey gone horribly wrong. 

The next time you're walking out of Cook or anywhere else in the area, take a moment to visualize that area without that geometrical abomination that is Angell. You will be surprised at how temporarily euphoric you feel upon visualizing this blissful state. Unfortunately, you will soon return to the painful reality that Angell is still there and is probably not going anywhere fast.

2 comments:

M. Haji Bigman said...

yea. can't say that I have noticed/know what building your talking about, but I will take a look next time. I don't know what they were thinking with a few of the buildings on campus. Like that building near Kalkin that looks like an upside down pyramid. wtf?

Chelsea Abplanalp said...

yea im not quite sure what building that is either...but i live in coolidge and that is a pretty sad looking building too. on move in day when i first saw it alli could think of was "is this really where i will be living for the next year?" its not too bad though...