Friday, October 10, 2008

I don't like Sociology

First of all if you are a sociology major then don't read this post or judge me by it. Maybe I hate sociology so much because it is just an intro level class and all of those suck. I don't think that is the case, mainly because I think I am getting the general idea of what I believe sociology is. Sociology is the science of putting names to things that you either already know or you (or at least I) don't care about. Sociology is a nightmare class that is as broad as the mass media. THE MASS MEDIA!
In this class we learn things like the news creates symbols not reality. Wow.. thank you for making a simple idea sound so complicated. The news creates ideas by covering something a certain way, obviously it can not create reality because it is only showing reality. I took notes on what a "public sphere" is and how it work. A "public Sphere" is really a large scale debate for a community where people get together and talk about problems in that community... or a completely worthless term. This term "public sphere" really is putting a name to something that I do not need a name for and I already know what the idea is.
This sociology of the mass media has taught me one very important thing that I will use for the rest of my college experience. I will never take another sociology course no matter what it takes. This class is miserable either because I am to stupid or I really just do not care about the large assortment of useless terms that are being forced into my mind. Who knows though, maybe later in the year sociology and I will some how bond and I will fall in love, maybe major in it... Which is as likely as me growing wings, and even if I did grow those wings as a sociology major I would most fly to hell.

2 comments:

aujwat6 said...

I totally agree with you. I'm also in a Sociology class but it's the Sociology of Drugs. It's called Drugs and Society, go figure. Haha..Anyway, I dislike this class so much! I feel that my professor overanalyzes everything when it's not needed. I don't know, maybe I'm not cut out to be a sociology major either.

bLOWFISH said...

My roommate is in that class! I swear she complains about it at least once a day. I mean shes a nursing major and just had to pick any other random class and when she picked sociology she didn't know it would be about media. I think I would like a mass media class, even though i am certain i would hate a sociology class. so we agreed that she would take my spot in biological anthro and i would take hers in sociology but that didn't quite work out haha. I didn't understand her complaints about it, but from your descriptions it kinda does sounds like a sucky class. i guess since its just intro level, they are really emphasizing the intro, even though growing up in todays society we dont really neeed it. I dont know, the semesters halfway over so you just gotta stick it out. Nobody said you had to ever take a class like that class again!