Monday, October 20, 2008

The great escape

I am usually not a fan of writing about "what happened to me this weekend," but this is one of the few times that I believe it is a worthy event for such an entry. To introduce the situation I went home this weekend and got trapped in a very unfortunate situation.
While in Atlanta I was visiting one of my friends at her house around two in the morning. She is still a high school student, and is forced to sneak out after twelve. So in other words I was not supposed to be in her house at two in the morning, so as we were leaving her mom woke up, which is usually not a big deal. The problem is that this time when she woke up she immediately went to the kitchen and set the alarm, forcing me to find a new route out of the house(which requires no doors and most of the windows are off limits). We frantically searched for a way for me to exit the stronghold that I was trapped in. There was only one window that was able to be opened in the whole house, that was in a rather extreme spot.
The window is located on a very steep incline on the roof which is around twenty feet off the ground. I climbed out shaking, and I realized that the only way that could get down is to get to a lower part on the roof. This required me to clear a five foot gap between one part of the roof to the other. Once I did that my escape was far from over, I still needed to find a way to climb off of the roof, which was still around fifteen feet off the ground. I experimented with hanging off the gutter and climbing down(the gutter almost fell off), also I tried to use the tips of my fingers to scale the bricks of the house down(once again I failed). Finally I realized that the only way to get to the ground and finally escape was to dive into a tree about five feet off the roof. I dove off the roof grappling the tree any way I could and slid to the ground(note that I had to do all of this in my socks because NO ONE can where shoes in the house).
After I reached a safe spot on the ground I immediately realized that having the alarm set on the house is much more dangerous then just not setting it. Really my friends mother is causing much more danger to what ever misdeeds the five girls in the house could be doing if they just snuck out the front door.

1 comment:

charlotte snowe said...

haha this sounds intense. you should make a short film about this adventure. luckily my house doesnt have an alarm system, rather the police station across the street. But yeah scaling roofs is not an easy thing to do. ive done it a few times.