Monday, December 1, 2008

Wall-Ewood

Like the title? I thought it was clever. A nice little portmanteau (of course) of Wall-E and Hollywood. Yeah, I know, you got it. Shut up.

Okay, so I have been railing against Wall-E for the past few months because it sounded like a terrible idea. A robot that compacts trash and somehow is going to make the Earth life-supporting again? It really sounds ridiculously stupid.

Well, I watch it. And then I ate a lot of crow. It was actually a really cute movie. The plot maybe wasn't too original, but then, what plot is? The movie looked really cool and the fact that all of the humans on the ship had gotten so lazy that they were supermassively obese was funny when compared to today's society where obesity abounds.

Wall-E builds buildings (why don't we call them 'builts'?) with the compacted trash squares in order to help clean up the environment. A girl robot, EVE, comes to the post-trashpocolyptic Earth on a 'classified' mission. I won't disclose too much for fear of spoilers, but a nice movie follows the beginning with cute animated infatuation and more hilarity than expected. This movie is, of course, good for the entire family. The kids will see a fun film about robot shenanigans and the parents will actually be able to look into the plot a little deeper to get some meaning from the movie.

Oh, and this is really funny.

3 comments:

charlotte snowe said...

I ABSOLUTELY loved the movie Wall-E. I never thought that a movie about a robot would be as cute and funny as it was either.
Go Pixar! They seem to have a knack for making random objects cute, Cars? Bugs Life? Monsters Inc?

M. Haji Bigman said...

yea, Wall-E was a great movie, in my opinion. it really was interesting that you could watch a movie with very little dialogue, and still get such a intriguing and enthralling story. I would recommend this movie.

Tess said...

I ended up going to the theaters twice to see this movie. It's really great! The effects in it were amazing, it impresses me every time how well pixars movies are done. I forget how long it takes them to complete one, but I think it's around 3-4 years, it makes sense why they are always so good!