Sunday, December 7, 2008

Il a ete tres chere

This weekend I went to Montreal for the first time, also I went to a bar for the first time. Apparently it is very obvious that I am a stupid young American that has never been to a bar. To introduce my stupidity me and two friends bought three hot chocolates for forty Canadian Dollars.
Sucked in the glee of being in Montreal and also feeling the extreme cold my two friends and I decided that it would be a good idea to find some hot chocolate. We stumbled across a very fancy bar that advertised there hot chocolate as tres bien. In the bar we all ordered our hot chocolate and everything would of been fine if one of my friends did not ask the bar tender to "throw a little" vodka in his hot chocolate. Obviously being a naive American going crazy that the drinking age is 18. Of course that gave my other friend and I the brilliant idea of asking the bar tender what would be really good to mix in Hot chocolate. Of course the Bar Tender suggested something that sounded absolutely perfect. We got our hot chocolates and they were probably the best drink I have ever had in my life. Then we got the check... Suddenly the drink left a bitter taste in my mouth. It turns out what ever vodka the bar tender "threw" into a drink was ridiculously expensive. Also it turns out that nothing is perfect because what ever the stuff he suggested to put into my other friend and my drink was eighteen bucks. The bill came out to forty dollars for three hot chocolates.

My friends and I seriously contemplated running out of the restaurant to avoid paying the bill. We decided against that course of action and spent a chunk of our Canadian money on hot chocolate. I learned many things from simply buying three glasses of hot chocolate. One is figure out what you are buying before you buy it.

3 comments:

bLOWFISH said...

that sucks. i didn't even know canadian dollars were different than american. maybe with the exchange rate it is only like 15 dollars american? that wouldn't have been too bad. i can't wait for my first trip up to montreal. thanks for the heads up about the spiked hot chocolates, because i would be the idiot to turn a 5 dollar hot chocolate into a 50 dollar mixed drink.

that reminds me of in spain when we went to lunch one day we just had pizzas but we ordered sangrias with them, they overcharged us so my friends and i made a whole escape plan to run out with out paying, chickened out and thought we would be thrown in spanish jail and then get kicked off the trip and have to go home early. but it was the week of easter so the streets of seville had a whole procession going so we could have easily gotten away with it by escaping into the crowd outside.

aujwat6 said...

Ahhh that sucks! I would have been so angry with myself and the bartender. I would have totally ran away from paying the bill, especially if I had a few drinks in me. I probably would have been more brave and thought that no one could catch me. I've always wanted to do that, but I've also been to chicken to actually do it. Maybe someday....haha

AKH said...

Gotta love foreign money :)

When I went to France, one day for lunch we went to this really nice French restaurant. The food was amazing and very authentic. All of the waiters spoke only in French, wonderful bread, escargot, the list goes on. But I was sitting at a table with 5 other people, and out of the five people, I spoke the most French, so I got to order first. We wanted a carafe of water for the table, because it's free in France (you can actually drink the tape water there). As I was ordering the water, I inadvertantly pointed to the wine list on the menu. Our waiter said, "No problem, I'll bring a bottle for the table". After he left I was freaking out because I had just unknowingly ordered a bottle of wine, and had no idea how expensive it was. Luckily it was only 10 or 15 euro....

that and the bar we went to, one night...all the mixed drinks were 7 or 8 euros each, which worked out to 10 or 12 dollars american I think. C'était très chère.

Good times...