Monday, September 8, 2008

Thoughts on "Slice"

I Just finished reading "Slice" by Toby Litt, I definitely enjoyed the format and layout of this alternate way of forming a narrative. The end was extremely abrupt however,  and leaves little answered and much to the imagination. I think I'm going to skim it again to see if I can pick up on anything else that might shed light on the sudden conclusion.
I'm still not quite sure about how I feel about the ending method as I like that it leaves so much to your own interpretation but I would've liked a little more personal closure to the plot. Apart from the conclusion I would say that I enjoyed reading it less for the content but more for the experimentation in a new medium of storytelling. The dual perspective offered by both of the blogs was also pretty cool, although I felt like the parent's blog really didn't add that much substance
I also found myself doubting the probability that a middle aged married couple is going to keep that kind of blog. In fact the more and more I think about it, the more I realize that the secondary blog was mostly fluff and kind of a waste of time.
One aspect of Litt's piece that I really did appreciate was leaving the exact circumstances that lead up to Slice's situation were left somewhat in the dark to the readers. Specifically what she had done to warrant such a dramatic move for the family. Overall I found the piece to be interesting but there was definitely a lot more that this story could have delivered.

No comments: