Monday, September 29, 2008

Live From New York....!

I watched Saturday Night Live on, you guessed it, Saturday night (into Sunday morning, but who really cares about such pedantic distinctions?) and I must say that, even as a long-term fan of Will Ferrel with his voice immodulation as a news reporter, I must say that I absolutely love the Judy Grimes skits.

Judy Grimes is a very nervous reporter who is terrified when on the news and responds to everything that she says with "just kidding" and then launches into another lie. Over the course of the skit, these rapid lies become hysterical. No one that I have shown the video to has avoided laughing for the entire segment. And I mean laughing and not your average giggle, chuckle or even guffaw.

Reproduced below is the skit. We have it courtesy of hulu.com.



I find the video very hilarious and have probably watched it ten times. The speed with which she thinks of her lines is remarkable, and the amount of stuttering or mumbling is minimal.

It has been presented to me that she wasn't thinking of the lines as she went but had memorized them previously. I don't think this is so. She looks up and to the right in the video, which is considered a standard sign of someone trying to perform creative or inventive thinking, as when they fabricate a story, especially visuals. Information about this can be found on interesting sites such as this one.

Anyway, that about wraps it up for this post! I hope you enjoyed it!

No comments: