Thursday, September 11, 2008

cook commons vs. The Grundle

So which cafeteria has the best food, the infamous grundle nestled between Millis and Harris... hence the name; or cook commons with no nasty nick names. Both have there advantages and disadvantages. Before my time the Grundle has been known as the worst cafeteria. While cook is considered to be the best, once again before my time.

Why is the Grundle considered in such poor regard? First of all I spoke to upper class men about the Grundle, all of them seem to believe that it is obviously the worst dining hall on campus advising me to go to Cook commons if I want to eat well. When I have spoken to freshman, all of them seem to think that the Grundle is perfectly fine. Is this just because the freshman are young and inexperienced with cafeteria food, or has the Grundle changed? I believe personally even though it may be bias (me being a freshman) that the Grundle is the more efficient place to eat, and the food is just fine. I say this because there is more space and the line is not usually as long. Sitting in the hot line for too long can force a person to eat the pasta and marinara everyday(no body wants that). The Grundle does not let any one do that, because the lines are much shorter. I have theorized to why it is less crowded. The Grundle theory is because all the upper class men do not eat there because last years food was bad, but now the food is better. The lines are shorter because all of the upperclassmen believe that the food is still bad based the Grundles food last year. It is a small victory for the freshman.
Even though I have been boasting about the Grundle, cook is not bad either. The main advantage to cook is that the food is better. Cook gives many more options and higher quality food. The disadvantage to having higher quality food is that the lines are much larger because everyone wants to eat the better food. during the lunch and dinner rush cook's long lines force me to eat what ever item of food does not have a long line for instance, the dreaded pasta and marinara sauce line. The key to eating at cook is too go either before or after the main rush. The optimum time to go to cook is either between five and six or between six thirty and seven. It is a small window of time but if there is time then cook is the better option.
Finally the better dining is to be determined by the eaters mood, patience, and time. If you have time to spare then eat at cook. If you do not have a huge window of time and a great deal of patience to stand in line, then the Grundle is perfectly fine. There is one other cafeteria on the red stone campus... but that is just plain out too far.

5 comments:

aujwat6 said...

Last night, I went to the Grundle for the first time, and I thought it was perfectly fine. I thought the food was great, and they had a lot more dessert choices than Cook does. (Maybe I'm wrong here?) I also thought the Grundel was more spacious than Cook and had more food choices (again maybe I'm wrong). I also liked the idea that they were handing out free little smoothies, and they were awesome. I have no idea what the upper classmen were talking about. I thought eating at the Grundle was a good investment.

The Catfish said...

I eat every meal at Cook until last night when I went to the Grundle. I thought that the Grundle's food was terrible and their were ridiculously long lines. Also the people that worked at the Grundle were not the nicest people ever. Cook on the other hand is very nice. The people who work their are extremely nice and always friendly. Also the food especially the ice cream is always on point. My favorite thing about cook is that their is always seating available for a bog group of people to sit at.

charlotte snowe said...

I love the grundle, despite it's grossly derived name. It's not that far of a walk and the food (atleast I think) is really good. It may not be in the same division as mom's homecooking, but it's not bad as far as school food goes.
Cook dining hall was not bad, I went during my 15 minutes before chemistry one day and found it to be much like Simpson, just a little nicer looking.
And also, Simpson is not that far of a walk on Red Stone, it's perhaps the most convienient dining hall on that campus. ( Well, of course because I live in Patterson which is only about a stones throw away from my niche). I've also heard from the upper classmen that they have the best breakfast on campus and best cereal selection.
Above all though, I truly believe that the marche is one of the best spots to eat on campus. You can just waltz in a grab a delicious smoothie, a piece of gourmet pizza ( kind of an oxymoron in my beliefs) and a pint of Ben & Jerry's for later and you're set.
Has anyone ventured to the Simpson store at all? Or know where exactly it is? I have yet to venture there.

A Underwood said...

I like cook commons better mostly because it is closer to my dorm. But also the food is always good and the staff are exceptionally nice and friendly. What I hate about cooks is that they are closed all Saturday and close the earliest out of all the dining halls. Also they just have sprite zero which doesn't allow me to make delicious Orange Juice/Sprite Cocktails

The grundle doesn't have bad food just that you can get the same or better elsewhere but with more friendly staff. I eat there on weekends mostly because everywhere else is closed. While there is more room, generally, it is maxed out on Saturdays because everyone else on central campus migrates over.

BennyBoy said...

Hmmmm I prefer commons alot more
shorter lines fast service and cool cooks. Yesterday they had a NYC event which was cool they had NYcheese cake, Steak, and Nathan's hotdogs. It was so good, they seem alot more creative than the "grundle" the staff seems more involved with mmaking you happy.
PLus they got coffee ice cream.