Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Some Old Friends Never Get Old...Sometimes

What to blog about this week? Well, I posted a great picture of my friend Hallie from high school on Facebook and, of course, tagged her in it. Why wouldn't I? It was an epic picture of her making the most ridiculous face I had ever seen in my life. She has a double-hinged jaw, so her mouth opens really wide. I know what you're thinking. No. It opens even wider that that. She could comfortably chew a watermelon. Whole.

But I digress. Hallie, upon realizing she was tagged in the photo, untagged herself. Facebook, (unfortunately) has the feature that whenever someone is tagged in a photo they are made aware of the photo. That sucks. Some cool features are that when someone has been tagged in a photo, that photo goes into their profile under "Pictures of ______" (the blank is, of course, filled in by that person's name. Well, that made it funny because this picture that everyone except Hallie thought was outrageously funny was in her album. Until she untagged herself.

Sad face.

I tried to re-tag her in the photo, but Facebook would NOT allow me to do so as she had untagged herself previously. That blew. So I took down the picture and reuploaded it. I tagged her again. She untagged herself.

Well, I am no quitter. I was determined to get her good. So I put the picture as my profile picture for a while. Any time I SuperPoke'd anyone, posted on a wall, commented on a status or sent a private message (among thousands of other instances), the picture of Hallie was shown anew. Victory!

But Hallie convinced me to take it down. How? Threat of physical and/or emotional violence (That may or may not be true. I can't remember. Go under the assumption it is true, though).

But now months have passed and, frankly, I had entirely forgotten about the picture until just a few days ago a friend was e-ambling through my pictures and saw it. And commented. And that made my day! The old picture of an old friend, like when it was new, brightened my day (that really didn't need too much brightening, come to think of it). Now there are many messages about the picture. Facebook really does spread joy. MySpace, on the other hand, spreads STDs. Or spreads like one, anyway. But I digress again.

Actually, I don't digress. I finish. But, just for having made your way through this post that, while interesting to me, probably isn't interesting to you, I leave you with a couple of things. First, a request to post a comment including any similar story (if you are so inclined to share) and also a copy of the picture itself, reproduced below in all its splendor, for you to behold.






Oh, I forgot to mention. Hallie doesn't normally look this gross. She was tied for Most Attractive girl in our class. She wasn't expecting that.

No comments: