Monday, September 29, 2008

Stewart v. Colbert: Why the Controversy?

I know I am posting a great deal of blogs. I apologize, but I kind of got behind and am making up for lost time. I know you have all been anxious for updates (and even if you haven't, a white lie never hurt anyone!).

Okay, so there are two major comic news shows on Comedy Central right now. They are called The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report. There is, despite the friendliness between these two hosts, much controversy and even animosity over which show is better than the other.

Some, such as correspondent Casey Rock, prefer The Daily Show. Jon Stewart's comedic routines and hilarious commentary on important news items. Casey did go on to note, though, that an irritating fact about Jon Stewart is that he wrote a somewhat disparaging book about America (Called America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction, published in 2004). This is interesting to note, as many rather enjoyed the book, but is also rather irrelevant to this post. So I won't speak further on it.

I personally like The Daily Show because, well, it's a classic. I have watched it for several years, and Jon Stewart is a very funny man. I would have his babies, except that I tend to lack of a uterus and he's already married to Tracy McShane and has 2 children. His commentaries on the war in Iraq as well as his current commentary about the presidential elections keep me laughing and begging for more.

On the other hand, Stephen Colbert, who began on The Daily Show, is also a rather funny man. He is a pseudo-uber-conservative who's daily guests on the show cause me intense happiness and an inexplicable sense of fulfillment. Chris Teel, another corespondent, prefers The Colbert Report (pronounced "Col-bear Re-pore") to The Daily Show. I cannot argue that Stephen Colbert is fantastically funny. He portrays himself as intense, but this is evidently not so. His dry, satirical humor is enough to sustain a small nation. Chris Teel is actually such a fan that he knows off-hand where Colbert was born (South Carolina). That impressed me.

In any event, both of these shows are on friendly terms and at the end of each Daily Show episode "hands off the baton" to The Colbert Report. Stewart and Colbert get along, so now I think it is time for the fans to reconcile their differences and make friends. Embrace both shows, I say. If you choose to embrace one show more than the other, that's alright. But both are definitely well worth watching.



Let's just get along ;)

3 comments:

A Underwood said...

Everyone knows Colbert was born in South Carolina because he tried to run for President there as a favorite son.

Kaleb said...

Well. I didn't. So there, you are wrong.

M. Haji Bigman said...

Haha, Colbert is pretty damn funny. I didn't think that there was so much animosity between fans of the different shows. On a side note, it would have been great if Colbert would have gotten on the ballot. Oh well, great article.